Saturday, March 14, 2015

Frit ... Paddle? Tray? from CG Bead Rollers

 Had some fun with this new tool the other night! This is a frit ... tray? Paddle? Trough? It is an enclosed, shallow graphite tool with a rim, that you put the frit in, and then roll your bead in. It has a handle - so you can pick it up and see the bead as it touches down on the frit.

As you may know, I really like to be able to see the when the tool hits the bead, so to speak, so I really enjoyed making some frit beads with this. And if you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know I am NOT a big frit person. Me and frit - not so much. However, this tool is pretty cool and it has the nice benefit that when you pick it up, you can give it a little shimmy and flatten the frit out to a nice, even layer.

Maybe that is why it was working well for me? Generally, my approach to frit is to use the tray as seen below, with the frit piled up in a huge drift.

Hmmm. Something to think about.



I will say this though. Without the curved frit tray to pour the frit back into, and then back into the jar, there is no way I could have gotten the frit neatly out of this new paddle doo-hickey. So there's that to think about. It's good to use, but not so good for clean up. Maybe if one corner at the end was carved down to make a funnel gap to pour back into the jar?



No comments:

Post a Comment