Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Another crack at Helios


OK - so I have one of the beads I made with Double Helix Helios sitting on my keyboard - and while they are not as metallic as I had hoped (see post) - I guess it is growing on me - so I thought I would take another swing at it.

This time - the glass worked quite differently - developing an overall, opaque haze when I reduced it. I didn't much like the look of the haze, and so I turned the oxygen back up and burned it off - and re-reduced them - so of these beads, I had to repeat these steps a number of times - to try and get them without an opaque haze on them. They have all come out with a richer colour and a more varied surface colour. A sort of smoked honey effect. I think I like them better this time around.

Variable rewards - that what the exotic glasses are all about - variable rewards!

2 comments:

  1. Helios is a reduction glass that I have found only need a brief moment in a reduction flame. I actually turn down my oxygen when reducing my silver glasses, rather than turning up the propane as many other lampworkers use.
    I work much cooler than many others also and I find that makes a lot of different for reducing silver glasses.
    Just my 2 cents....
    Smiles,
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. GD Bryant3:29 p.m.

    Wow, these are gorgeous DJ.... very majestic.

    ReplyDelete